So many burgers in London now it’s hard to keep them straight. I’ve tried almost 50 different places and ranked the top 10.
1. Bleecker St Burger – BSB epitomises the quality NYC burger. Zan and her team consistently turn out a superbly grilled patty, deep meaty flavour, and some interesting toppings to keep you coming back for more.
Patty: ★★★★★ Bun: ★★★★☆ Toppings: ★★★★☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★★
2. Patty & Bun – Now with two locations, it’s easier to get a hold of their excellent burgers. The Smokey Robinson remains one of my favourites and the Jose Jose Chilli is delicious too.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★★☆ Toppings: ★★★★★ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★★
3. Mother Flipper – One of the stars of Brockley Market, Mother Flipper’s Double Bacon Candy burger is spectacular and the main reason I head down there periodically on a Saturday morning. The bun is the best in town and a closely guarded secret.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★★★ Toppings: ★★★★☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★★
4. Tommi’s Burger Joint – Another consistent star, Tommi’s Icelandic burgers have quickly become popular. Get the steak burger with bernaise sauce and you can’t go wrong. The milkshakes are damn good too.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★☆☆ Value: ★★★★★ Overall: ★★★★☆
5. Soho Kitchen & Bar – The burger here is massive since they give you an extra patty (i.e. the single is a double patty) so you have a decadent cheesy beast which doesn’t fail to satisfy.
Patty: ★★★☆☆ Bun: ★★★★☆ Toppings: ★★★☆☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★☆
6. Burger Bear – The Bear himself is behind the grill and serves up some delicious burgers. My preference is the Grizzly Bear which includes some bacon jam.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★★☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★☆
7. Lucky Chip – LC’s Bill Murray special remains one of my favourites with its chilli-ginger glaze and full deep-fried soft shell crab. LC uses a salt-crusted patty which can be a tad much, but the end result is a full on meatiest.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★★★ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★☆
8. Dip’n’Flip – Dip & Flip does something a little different with the signature burger combining the best of a beef patty and a French dip sandwich.
Patty: ★★★★☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★☆☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★★☆
9. MEATMission – One of the MEATfamily (and my favourite one), the burger selection here is pretty solid. The green chilli burger and buffalo chicken burger are delicious and keep me coming back for more.
Patty: ★★★☆☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★★☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★☆☆
10. Honest Burger – A relative OG of the London burger scene, Honest Burger serves up some decent burgers and some exceptional rosemary fries. The special is usually a good option with the Louisiana being my favourite when it comes around. Patty: ★★★☆☆ Bun: ★★★☆☆ Toppings: ★★★★☆ Value: ★★★★☆ Overall: ★★★☆☆